Unfortunately in today’s society, our idea of happiness can be skewed and lead us further away from finding it. I don’t want to have to rely on anything or anybody to be happy. If you can be happy all alone with virtually nothing, I think it’s at that point you’ve reached true happiness. Sure, sometimes people and things can lead you in the right direction, but it all comes down to you. You have to tell yourself you will choose to be happy. Then you start doing things that make YOU happy. No one else – you. You’ve got to be a little selfish honestly. Helping others can bring you happiness of course, but there’s nothing wrong with taking time to do the things that make you happy.
Everybody is different, and you’ve got to figure out the things that make you happy, but to help get the wheels turning, here are 5 things that genuinely make me happy.
- Listening to and discovering good. ass. music. Seriously, nothing is better than finding a great band and listening to their albums for hours. My most recent obsession? This Wild Life. Sooooo good, you have no idea. Go. Go listen to them. In fact, here’s one of my favorites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5as2gVEGjI
- Reading. *cue the nerd jokes* But really, I love to read. Whether it’s a good book (currently reading The First Phone Call from Heaven) or other blog posts, I enjoy reading what other people have to write. Writing is my favorite form of art. Some people like paintings, film, music, and of course, I like all of those things, but I just have a special connection with text. Most likely because I find it easiest to express myself through my writing.
- Blogging. This obviously ties into number 2, but it’s different from reading what others write. Writing my own blog posts is seriously so freeing. I often find that my mind is just a jumble of thoughts, and I write in order to organize those thoughts. There are so many unpublished posts I have that I will most likely never publish, but it’s crucial that I write them. I’ve talked about this before, – I write for myself, no one else really – and I’m just comfortable sharing some of my writing with others. I like the feedback.
- Simply spending time with loved ones. Alright, I know I said I don’t want to rely on anyone else to find my own kind of happiness, but it’s undeniable that being around those people that I love will always make me happy. The key is, I can be doing literally anything with them, and I can be happy. It doesn’t have to be extravagant. Just making a raw, genuine connection with my favorite people makes me alllll kinds of happy.
- Ironing. Quirky, I know. But it’s so true. I love ironing clothes. I find it hilariously weird, but it calms me down. I think I might use it as a giant metaphor. As I iron out the wrinkles in the clothes, I feel like I’m ironing out any stress I might have that day. I really am too weird. Moving on…. lol
These are just a few of the things that really make me a happy person, and I’m still discovering new things that make me happy every day. It’s understandable that everyone has bad days, but everyone should also have a few “go-to pick-me-ups” to make those bad days not so bad. I encourage you to start thinking about the things that make you happy because “happiness is not something ready made; it comes from your own actions.” -Dalai Lama